Replacing an air conditioner is a major home project. The right air conditioner will properly cool your home, save you money, and last for years. To help you with your decision, here are some tips on choosing the right size air conditioner. The size of an air conditioner is an important factor in cooling down your house. Air conditioner units come in many sizes and different power levels. There is no “one size fits all” air conditioner – every house has different needs.
While you might think that you should buy the largest unit possible, that may not be the best choice. An air conditioner that is too big will not run long enough to remove moisture from the air, leading to excess humidity. Buying a smaller unit also has problems. An air conditioner that is too small will overwork itself trying to cool your house down. This will lead to more energy costs and the unit breaking down earlier than it should. As a result, it is important to choose the proper size.
How do you choose the right size? Here are some factors to consider:
- The size of your house. Your square footage plays a huge role in the size you need, but it is not the only one. You also need to consider the height of your ceilings and any spaces that you may not want air conditioned (such as attics and garages).
- The amount of sun that enters your house. The more sun that enters into your house, the more air conditioning you may need. How many windows does your house have? How big are the windows? Are there a lot of trees surrounding your house? Are there certain rooms that are always sunny?
- The amount of people in your house. The more people living or spending time in your house, the hotter it will be.
- Your house’s insulation. The better insulated your house, the more energy efficient it will be. Poor insulation means that you will be losing more cool air.
- The condition of your window and door seals. Similar to insulation, this plays a role in energy efficiency. Do you have new energy efficient windows? Or are there gaps between your window where air can escape from? Are there cracks under your doors, or are their sealed properly?
These are just some of the factors you need to consider when purchasing an air conditioner. To help you pick the right air conditioner, contact us today. We can help you pick out the right air conditioner and install your new unit.