Filter? What filter? I thought the AC consisted of magical ice creatures that blew their cold breath through the vents.
Sorry guys, we checked and there are no such creatures. Don’t worry though, we’re here to help. If you want your AC to keep it’s cool, check out these tips on routine maintenance.
- Filters don’t last forever: When’s the last time you changed or cleaned your AC filter? If your answer was “huh,” it’s time to panic. According to the US Department of Energy, regularly replacing or cleaning filters is the “most important task that will ensure the efficiency of your air conditioner.” Dirty filters restrict proper airflow and bog down your system.
- Clean coils are happy coils: Evaporator and condenser coils collect dirt and debris over time. Even when filters are regularly changed, coils become dirty. Dirt eventually acts as an insulator, reducing airflow along with the coils ability to absorb heat. It’s important to check and clean coils annually.
- Fins: No, your AC isn’t a fish. Coils have aluminum fins that bend easily. This blocks airflow. A “fin comb” will usually take care of bent fins.
- Drains: Have a moisture problem? If your living room feels more like the Florida Everglades, it’s time to check condensate drains. When drains become clogged your system can’t properly regulate humidity.
- Winter is coming: Prepare for colder weather by putting room air conditioners away, while they’re not needed. Also, covering outdoor units protects them from winter debris.
For the best AC Repair, contact us.